Title: The Summer I Met You
Author: Victoria Walters
Publisher: Headline Review
Date: February 11th, 2016
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Escape to Cornwall and meet the characters of Talting in this wonderful digital short story and prequel to Victoria Walters’ captivating debut novel, THE SECOND LOVE OF MY LIFE.
This is a summer romance that will last a lifetime…
„In that moment he made me as if we had lifted off from the ground and were dancing amongst the stars.“
What you need to know about this short story:
- It is a prequel to Victoria Walter’s debut novel The Second Love of My Life, that comes out this April.
- It is written in first person, from the perspective of a young girl called Emma.
- Emma is telling the story in two different time periods: now and then, which are separated by the three months period.
- The Summer I Met You is a story of falling in love.
- Although Emma and her love interest, John, are main characters in this story, they are not main characters in the full-leight novel that follows this story.
- Main character in The Secon Love of My Life is Rose, Emma’s best friend, and we get to meet her in this prequel.
What you should be warned about:
- It contains insta-love (which is not a bad thing, from my perspective).
- Not all 65 pages of this ebook are an actual story, some of them are a part of an exclusive extract from The Second Love of My Life.
What I liked about this book:
- The writing style is worth to be commended
- The way the writer describes places is just so realistic and beautiful at the same time. I could’t help but imagine Emma’s room, the view to the sea and the smell of pigs and cows in the air, it was like being there partly.
- Both setting were just amazing.
- Characters were likeable, especially Rose and her husband Lucas.
What I’d like to change in this piece of work:
- I only wish it was a bit longer so we could watch how Emma and John’s love was developing and how they spent time that Summer.
Overall, the purpose of this short story is to introduce us to characters from The Second Love of my Life. In that purpose, it succeeded.
When I say I can’t wait to read Walter’s debut novel, I mean it wholeheartedly. I really enjoyed this story and find the writing style so beautiful and appealing that I just can’t wait to see what the writer is going to present us in her full-leight book.
Even though this is a prequel, it can be read on it’s own and I think if you decide to give it a try, you will probably enjoy it. I know I did.